Planning, Analysis, and Strategy
Marilyn J. Berger, John B. Mitchell, and Ronald H. Clark
All of Seattle University School of Law
PRETRIAL ADVOCACY: Planning, Analysis, and Strategy, Fifth Edition reflects the way criminal and civil pretrial advocacy is successfully practiced in federal and state litigation. The distinguished author team offers both a conceptual and practical foundation for today’s pretrial advocates. Checklists of skills, techniques, standards and ethics appear in each chapter. 79 assignments are designed for student role-play performances.
PRETRIAL ADVOCACY includes:
- Chapters covering all pretrial activities from forging an attorney-client relationship to drafting and arguing pretrial motions
- Comprehensive text for an introduction to law practice skills course
- Professional responsibility emphasized throughout the text
- Case files for civil wrongful death and criminal homicide cases
- Seventy-nine assignments for student role-play skills performances, such as drafting pleadings and taking a deposition.
- Checklists of skills, techniques, standard and ethics in each chapter
- Videos and supplementary material available on this website
- For Professors and CLE instructors, this pass-word protected website includes a Teacher’s Manual Guide and Actor’s Guide for witnesses
Thoroughly updated throughout, the Fifth Edition now includes:
- Streaming videos on this website including: how to take and defend a deposition: using a deposition at trial; crime scene visit; computer animations; ADR documentary and more.
- Supplementary material on this companion website, including: exemplary documents (such as fee agreements, a spoliation letter) and articles on pretrial topics along with case files and performance assignments
- Cultural competency for working effectively in cross-cultural situations during pretrial preparation and litigation
- Strategies for working collaboratively and resolving conflicts
- Demand letters and mediation briefs
- Revamped and enhanced pleadings chapter, including examples of cutting-edge complaints and answers
- Rules changes are incorporated into this 5th Edition, including recently amended Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and Federal Rules of Evidence